What Causes Gas Water Heaters To Stop Working?
Gas water heaters are a popular choice for many homeowners due to their efficiency and reliability. However, like any other appliance, they can experience issues that cause them to stop working properly. Water heater technicians or professionals can solve various issues by checking and inspecting them. They have the tools to identify the root cause of the heater that it stops working. You can contact the professionals to get the gas hot water system repaired in Perth.
In this article, you will explore some common reasons gas water heaters may stop working and discuss potential solutions.
- Pilot Light Problems The most common reason for a gas water heater to stop working is a problem with the pilot light. The pilot light is a small flame that ignites the gas burner, which heats the water. If the pilot light goes out, the burner won’t ignite, and you won’t have hot water. There are a few reasons why the pilot light may go out, such as a draft, a clogged orifice, or a faulty thermocouple. Checking and relighting the pilot light and cleaning the orifice are simple solutions that can resolve this issue.
- Gas Supply Issues Another potential cause of a gas water heater not working is a problem with the gas supply. If no gas flows to the appliance, it won’t be able to ignite the burner. Gas supply issues can be caused by various factors, including a closed gas valve, a malfunctioning gas control valve, or a gas leak. It is important to ensure that the gas valve is open and that there are no leaks in the gas line. If you suspect a gas leak, it is crucial to contact a professional immediately for safety reasons.
- Thermocouple Malfunction The thermocouple is a safety device that detects whether the pilot light is lit. If the thermocouple malfunctions or becomes dirty, it may not sense the presence of the pilot flame and will shut off the gas supply to the burner. In this case, the gas hot water system will be unable to heat the water. Cleaning or replacing the thermocouple is usually required to fix this issue.
- Sediment Buildup Over time, sediment and minerals can accumulate at the bottom of the water heater tank. This sediment can cause various problems, including reduced efficiency and even damage to the burner or other components. The sediment buildup can prevent the burner from igniting or cause it to overheat. Regularly flushing the water heater to remove the sediment can help prevent these issues and ensure the smooth operation of the appliance.
- Faulty Gas Control Valve The gas control valve controls the gas flow to the burner and regulates the water temperature. If the gas control valve malfunctions, it may not allow the burner to ignite or maintain the desired temperature. A faulty gas control valve may require replacement by a qualified technician.
- Igniter or Burner Issues If the pilot light is functioning correctly, but the burner still fails to ignite, the problem may lie with the igniter or burner assembly. Over time, the igniter can become worn out or damaged, making it difficult for the burner to ignite. Additionally, the burner ports may become clogged with debris, preventing the gas from flowing properly. Cleaning or replacing the igniter and ensuring the burner assembly is clean can help resolve these issues.
However, if you encounter persistent issues or are unsure about the cause of the problem, it is best to consult a professional plumber or technician for assistance.
How to find the best water heater technician?
When finding the best water heater technicians, it’s important to prioritise expertise, reliability, and customer satisfaction. A water heater is a crucial appliance in any home or commercial establishment, so it’s essential to have it serviced or repaired by skilled professionals. Here are some steps to help you find the best water heater technicians for gas hot water system repairs in Perth:
- Seek recommendations: Ask friends, family, or neighbours if they have had any positive experiences with water heater technicians. Personal recommendations can provide valuable insights and help you find reliable professionals.
- Online directories and reviews: Utilise online directories and review platforms to search for water heater technicians in your area. Websites like Yelp, Angie’s List, and Google My Business can provide comprehensive information, including ratings, reviews, and contact details.
- Consider emergency services: In case of a water heater breakdown or emergency, it’s crucial to have access to technicians who offer emergency services. Ensure the technicians you choose are available to handle urgent situations, especially during weekends or holidays.
Finding the best water heater technicians requires research, referrals, and personal judgement. By following these steps and considering the factors mentioned, you can hire a skilled professional to ensure gas hot water system repairs in Perth without delays at reasonable prices.